Dublin City Council
Dublin City Architects
Garland Consulting Engineer
Homan O'Brien Consulting Engineer
Austin Reddy & Company
The 6-storey social housing scheme on North Kings Street comprises 30 apartments - 7 no.1-bedroom apartments; 18 no.2-bedroom apartments; 3 no.2-bedroom duplex apartments; and 2 no.3-bedroom apartments. Each apartment has dual aspect and is design with a private balcony. Four apartments have triple aspect. A shared private courtyard is located along the southern boundary of the site.
The new apartment scheme is NZEB compliant and is a low energy design benchmark for buildings with very high energy performance. In addition, the very low amount of energy that is used is provided from renewable energy sources. NZEB buildings set standards for carbon performance in addition to energy performance. The design development of this scheme ensured careful consideration of a range of solutions to meet NZEB energy targets.
Duggan Brothers adopted a ‘Fabric First Approach’ on this project to ensure that we achieved the project design requirements and meet Near Zero Building Energy Standards (NZEB).
Our adoption of ‘Fabric First Approach’ focused greatly on:
• The Air Tightness construction methods, materials and workmanship
• Demand Control Ventilation
• Heat Pump Technologies for space heating and domestic hot water
• Solar Photovoltaic Panels
The external building envelope and façade package were key aspects to achieving NZEB. Our approach to ensuring that we achieve this standard included:
• Selecting the correct material and products to meet the specification
• Co-ordination and management of our specialist trades and subcontractors
• Planning, managing and controlling the quality of workmanship to achieve the required detailing
• Monitoring the Testing and Inspections throughout the project
• Delivering full compliance and certification
The structure for the new building includes piles, insitu concrete, structural steel, precast floors and stairs, brickwork exterior.